Have questions for your product category? We have data to answer them. Please let us know here
Eye Tracking on
[use the buttons below]
How does packaging affect shoppers?
The purpose of this study was to provide insights on how packaging affects shoppers when choosing what cereal to buy.
A consumer research project was conducted at Package InSight’s shopper lab in May 2020 to test the quantitative and qualitative aspects of a beloved grocery favorite: Breakfast Cereal. 29 participants shopped a representative competitive planogram, which consisted of 63 different breakfast cereal SKUs. One group shopped for cereal as they normally would, and another group shopped for cereal looking at the bags only, no boxes. Participants were asked a set of questions during a pre-survey before shopping, and a post-interview. In both, participants were asked to rate the importance of packaging. Eye tracking technology was used to capture the eye movements at 50 times per second to measure participant shopping behavior.
Planograms in Play
Cereal bags were placed on the shelves outside of their boxes for participants to shop. The name of each cereal was written on the bag.
Cereal bags were left in their boxes and placed on the shelf for participants to shop.
The results from this study consist of below sections:
Eye Tracking Key Metrics
- Total Fixation Duration (TFD)
- The time, in seconds, spent on average by participants fixating on this item. The higher the number, the better the package performed.
- Time To First Fixation (TTFF)
- The time, in seconds, from when a product first enters a participant’s field of view until they fixate on it. The lower the number, the better the package performed.
- Fixation Count (FC)
- The total number of times a participant’s scan of the planogram crossed into a particular area of interest.
Eye Tracking Visualization
- Heat Maps
- Gaze Plots
- Measures how many participants chose to buy the item. The higher the number, the better the package performed.